The objectives of the Mulkear Conservation Volunteers (MCV) are:
1. Help protect, manage and enhance the Natural Heritage of the Mulkear Catchment through volunteer participation in practical conservation projects. Areas of work may include removal of invasives plants – e.g. Himalayan Balsam, path clearance and scrub clearance work, assisting in survey otter work / holt construction, assisting with field trips (Heritage Week events), organising talks, workshops, training, etc
2. Help to enhance biodiversity through volunteer participation in practical conservation activities linked to MulkearLIFE’s work programme. All work will take place within the Mulkear catchment – covering counties Limerick & Tipperary.
3. Assist in the work of local authorities and departments (Limerick County Council / Tipperary County Council North & South Riding & the National Parks & Wildlife Service) in maintaining access to, conservation of and protection of the natural environment of the Mulkear Catchment.
4. Assist in the conservation work of local community groups to maintain the natural environment of the Mulkear Catchment.
5. Promote awareness of the importance of the natural environment through practical conservation activities.
6. Promote the development of environmental skills of volunteers through training and practical conservation activities.
7. Ensure the volunteering experience of members is fulfilling and enjoyable.
8. Promote and support the work and objectives of other practical conservation organisations in Ireland.
The membership of the MCV is open to individuals who recognise that the objectives of the MCV will be achieved through practical conservation activities and the potential risk for personal injury associated with these activities. Members shall be aware of and accept these risks and agree to be responsible for their own actions and involvement. Individuals can sign up as a member by filling out the membership form for the MCV.
The following is the planned work schedule of the Mulkear Conservation Volunteers for 2011.
|Date in 2011||Possible Focus||Possible Location|
|29th January||– Path Clearance||– Mulkear River, Ballyclough Weir|
|26th February||– Training Workshop Invasives||- Newport Community Centre|
|26th March||– Conservation Work||- Upper Bilboa|
|16th April||– Invasives Mulkear||- Annacotty Weir|
|21st May||– BioBlitz Dromore Woods Nature Reserve||- Dromore Woods NR|
|25th June||– Invasives Bilboa Br.||- Upper Bilboa|
|23rd July||– Invasives (Him Bal) TBC|
|27th August||– Heritage Week Activities||- Catchment wide|
|24th September||– Path Clearance/ clean-up||- Lower Mulkear River|
|22nd October||– Biodiversity Workshop / Seminar||- Limerick|
|26th November||– Conservation Work||- Glenstal forest loop|
|10th December||– AGM & 2011 Review||- Murroe|
For further details please contact MulkearLIFE office.